Monday, June 1, 2009

Old Twin

I called this fellow Old Twin, because there are two attachment points at the base.  An Elkhorn coral, on the Endangered Species List.  This enhanced, rather colorful photo was taken in 2006.  Old Twin must be hundreds of years old.  I have lots of photos of him, he lives in fifteen feet, 4 meters depth, in front of Off the Wall beach bar.  I bet a lot of folks recognize him.
.
Well, there was a lot of rough weather this winter, a lot of big surf.  Old Twin got knocked down, broken off his base.  But at least he didn't get tumbled.  
.

I'll go back on scuba and try to see how far he skidded.  He weighs hundreds of pounds/kilos, maybe even a thousand or two.  There is a kind of smooth pinkish-gray algae is called Reef Cement, and should already be growing to 'glue' Old Twin to the bottom.
.
Some bits did get broken off, and the lucky ones are wedged in tight, and already growing.  I'll be taking series photos of these, to watch them grow.
.
.

There are several Jewelfish living in the safety of Old Twin's crevasses.  They're juvenile Yellowtail Damselfish.  Their tiny blue spots do seem to sparkle.
OK, all for now.  Thanks for stopping by!  Now I must go crawling around on my roof to continue fixing leaks.  Come help!  It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment