Monday, June 8, 2009

Plants

 
.Thick looking dawn this morning.  Must be Sahara dust, and/or volcano dust from our neighbor to the southeast, Montserrat.  St Croix is not the place to live if you have lung troubles!  The weather is still coming in from the wrong direction.

 
.OK, what's this?  Some sort of plant, I don't have a decent plant ID book.  There are more plants in sandy areas than on the coral reef.  This is in about fifty feet depth, 27m.
 
This one is a real cutie!  Only about an inch tall, 2.4 cm.  I didn't get a very decent image of the details, did I?  Phooey.
.
 
.It's sending out runners.  It must bloom , but I didn't see any big red or yellow blossoms.  Haha, I'm being silly, sea plants have very tiny green flowers, for the most part.  The fish would gobble them down before they could go to seed.
.
I did happen to see one flower on that two hour snorkel the other day, in all that Turtle Grass.  Once again, my photogrphy skills are in a sad state, but you get the idea.  Not a very dramatic flower, hey?  Oh, yes, a Turtle Grass flower.
 
OK, off to my day!  Thanks for stopping by!
.

4 comments:

  1. I there ever a problem with sharks in this area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not now. The last shark attack on St Croix is out of recent memory, thirty, forty years or more. Shark meat sells for five dollars a pound. Most of them have been killed. I might see one a year, and they run away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying all the recent photos on your blog. Interesting posts about things I've never seen. I didn't know there were flowers in the sea. And your post about the broken camera and not wanting to dive without I can relate to- I don't enjoy hiking as much without a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Con,

    I decided to post every morning, except Sundays. I'm fooling with this old house and gardening too much, neglecting my painting! Bad me.

    ReplyDelete