Friday, July 10, 2009

Squid!


Coming in from yesterday's dive, I happened into a school of Squid. Lots of divers never see them, because the Squid seem to prefer shallow water, ten to fifteen feet. Often I see divers surfacing way out there, and coming into shore not looking at what's under them. Same for going out to the dive, paddling along on the surface not knowing they're missing many delights. I even had one fellow say he thought you had to go to eighty feet to dive!
.

Some were staying together in pairs. I was amazed that I could get so close to these normally shy creatures.
.

Wow, did I take this picture??? Such an eye! I'm glad they're small, 12 inches, 30 cm.

Did you know ---if you need to change measurements like that, you can write, "12 inches to cm" in the search box/window, and it'll give you the answer.
.

.There were smaller Squid up higher in the water. They were about one third the size of the others that I was watching.
.

Ha! The camera and computer sometimes see more than I do! There is a function called Quick Fix that I use sometimes, and this is what it showed me. The Squid could be emitting light, like fireflies. They do not look this bright at all, to my plain eyes.
.

A Coral! Must have a coral here, hey? This is a Mustard Hill coral, a very nice one.
.

And a close up of the teeny tiny polyps. I don't know the size, other that really little. So cute.
.
Tomorrow we'll look at this thing. Totally strange. Really. Haha, this is not photoshopped!
.
Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment