Thursday, September 10, 2009

diving

.
Kicking out from shore, the sea is really calm today.  The white reflection on the surface of the water is the from the cloud.  The black thing under the water is my fin!  Whoosh!








.
.
Oh! Wonderful sunbeams!  Almost doesn't look real.  They're lost in water much deeper than fifteen feet, five meters.









.
.
Ok, gee, from under the water, the sunbeams just don't show up.  The photo above was taken at the surface.  I am here, at six feet, two meters.

Hum, not much to see, the hurricanes have pretty much scraped everything away.  Some of the storms have sent waves crashing so high that the bottom here was exposed between waves, in the troughs.  Hard to image.  But the water is pretty and clear today!
.

Now what??  Patterns or holes??




.
.




.
.
A Spotted Trunkfish.  And not running away from me!  They're usually very shy.  That's a Bluehead Wrass behind him.  Or her.  The Bluehead is the male, and the yellow fish are female Blueheads.  Once again, a kind of fish that is born all females, these yellow, and the oldest biggest strongest turns into a male, once there are too few males to go around.



.
The fish was going around in circles, looking at something.  I took eight photos.  So glad the film days of thirty six images are over!!  I missed SO many lovely pictures back then.

The Bluehead is still hanging around.  Pretty fishie.




.
.

Aha, see the little squiggldy thing on the sand that the fish is looking at?  Turned out that it's one arm off a sea star, or starfish, or whatever you call those things.

That kind of sea star hides, and can move very fast, hum, looks for a reason!  The fish eventually ate the thing, but I think he/she was having trouble because the bit was too long and pointy to go into his/her stomach!  The pointy end could hurt!  haha.  As I left, the fish had sucked up the blunt end first, and was wandering around with the pointy bit hanging out of his mouth.  Her mouth, whatever.  I'm so thankful for knives and forks.  And spoons are an engineering marvel, truly.
.

End of the dive.  Out of the water, one of these two guys walked by and said, "That looks a lot easier than snorkeling!"

Boy, the one is really sinking.  Fat floats, so chubby people can just loll on the surface!  No struggling like this guy.

And fins.  Naked feet are lousy for swimming!


.
.
Ok, pretty calm conditions again today, hooray!  More photos for you.  I found a little Jackknife fish that I took thirty seven blurry, out of focus images of.  The CAMERA took them, my eyes were sharp and clear.  I'll put the beast on close-up setting and see if I have better results.

(stupid camera!)

Photography is so impossible, I hate it but can't dive without it.  Poor me!
OK, see you tomorrow!  Thanks for stopping by!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment