Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello! Guess I'll do a post---

.
The camera seemed to behave yesterday.  Let's see what I saw.
.

Oh, no, a class.  I'd better take off fast and go the other way.  I used to teach, and was always taking groups of students that I had to closely monitor.  And "Resort Courses"   Up to six people who didn't know anything about diving.  You can take a Resort Course, and after a minimum of instruction, and I mean minimum, go right out to 30 feet, 9m on a real dive.  Sometimes people would be jet lagged and hungover, sigh. But, if it wasn't a very safe thing to do, it wouldn't be offered.  Hundreds of people I took diving this way all came back with me with zero problems.
.

Ah, a barrel Sponge.  What's around it, besides the Southern Green Ray swimming on by?










.
OK, a gray Gorgonian, hard to tell apart the different kinds.  And a yellowish Butterprint coral, and some "Erect Rope" sponges, the wine colored thingies.  And the little bunch of sticks?  Oh, there are two Arrow Crabs.  Oh, the orange stuff is sponge of some sort.
.
A closer look at one of the crabs.  I really did think the first one I ever saw was a bunch of sticks, then it moved!  They mostly hold still, but if frightened, they can dart away.   And sponges have holes in them.
Cropped and up close, the crab.  The face and body(He's facing sideways to us) is on the bottom of the long spike, the striped part.  The spike is actually his snout.  And blue claws.  Yes, they can pinch!  Even make  small cut in your finger.  Hum, how would I know that??
They put extra food on top of their heads sometimes, the spike.  The reddish fluff there is cyano bacteria, resembles algae.  It grows in hot water, hot is one or two degrees fahrenheit too 'hot', and it's getting hot this summer.  Some corals are starting to bleach from the heat, booo.
.
Back on the beach, kids playing with a surfboard.  One guy would get on, maybe stand up and wobble there for a second or two, before the others jiggled the board and made him fall.  They were funny to watch.
Ah, is nice to be posting.  Nice to have my camera working, (don't quit again!!)  And no, I haven't gotten the new computer yet.  OK, have a great day!  Thanks for stopping by!
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment