Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday!!

.
 
Let's just wander around the shallow reef today.  That pale yellowish stuff that looks like spilled pudding is a colony of something I haven't discussed, Zoanthids.  zo an thid   More strange little critters!
.
Blue sponges, yellow-brown corals, and a soft coral leaning away, a Gorgonian.
,
A happy Barrel sponge, all crowded with other critters.  And  a shy Parrotfish running away from me.  Silly fish.
,
There!  In the sky!  it's. it's ...a squid.  But not the sky, just up.  Once I was puttering around on a dive, and saw two divers in the distance approaching.  I was in a big sandy area, and I ascended to about twenty feet over the sand.  The two people were looking at everything around, but not up.  They swam right below me, not seeing me at all. Teehee.
I learned to look up when some people asked me if I'd seen the whale.  "Whale?"  I had just gotten out of the water, and was taking off my gear.
"Yes!  He went along right at the edge about twenty minutes ago!"
I'd been right under a whale and didn't know, because I didn't look up.  But I probably would have killed myself trying to go say hello.  sigh.
.
Bladed Fire coral, so pretty.  One of these days it'll be very calm, no waves coming in, no surge pushing me around, and I'll be able to get some close photos.  This coral is so brittle, and breaks easily, stinging at the same time.  Little fish like to hide in its' shelter.  Not whales.
.
Sponges swooping and swirling around.  Oops, no, this just an impression, they don't move.
..
More sponges, standing over some Mustard Hill coral.  Hum, and see the bits of red?  Preditory Boring Sponges.  Oh, my.  I'll talk about them one of these days.
.
This is your brain on coral!
 (That ad sure did infiltrate American talk, hey?)
.
Thanks for stopping by!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment