Tuesday, May 20, 2008

stuck--unstuck

I figured out why I haven't started on my next 'real' painting. I don't have the right paints. Maybe I have too much knowledge. "Fat over Lean" is a rule in oil painting. Some oil paints are made of pigments that absorb lots of oil to make the 'buttery' consistancy, some take a lot less. If a painting is made with lean over fat, brittle over flexible, the different drying times and qualities make the paint crack. Not something I want.

So the right paints are 'in the mail'. Be here in a few days. I almost feel sorry for the person filling my order, all the colors for underpainting are, umm, I'll be kind and say drab.

2 comments:

  1. So butter on top, like toast. Can't wait to see your next as work on buttering the lean. Fat paint! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Melissa! You've really been producing from the looks of your past posts! And trying different things, too!

    Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete