Monday, December 21, 2009

A sandy place

Hop off the boat, descending slowly, floating slowly down in forty feet of depth, 12 meters, here comes a Southern Ray. Big ray, about four feet, more than a meter, from wingtip to wingtip. I guess you call them wings! He's really green.
.
Cruising on by, several Jacks in attendance. When the ray stops to dig in the sand, the fish hope to grab anything that the ray stirs up, that the ray misses; crabs, little bottom fish that hide in the sand...

.
whoa! smelled something? turning quickly...
.
found something to check out...
.
Ok, a bit of digging, they use their whole body rather like a plunger, making a vacuum under their noses, where the mouth is located. Some sand stirred up, and then awayyyyy he goes!
.
Pertty Sea Star! Their eyes are on the ends of their arms. This one isn't soft at all, very 'hard'. I don't handle them, but sometimes just touch with one finger, lightly.
.
LOL, the next photo comes on top, so I need to write backwards in time. This blogging is something else.

The little yellowish fuzzy thing is a small Pillar Coral. A big old one looks like a Disney castle. If you look close(I'll get a better photo soon) the polyp's tentacles look like a wheat field, waving in the breeze, or sea currents.
.
Ok, what do we have here? Confusing, this blogging. I find I must upload photos one at a time to be able to write in between them. Next, to learn if they will post under, or above as I go along. I guess a blog is a permanent learning curve. Every time I get used to Blogger, they change a little, improving?
.
This coral is one of my (many) favorites. One name is Maze, but I like Butterprint, maybe because it's food. I haven't photoshopped these pictures, too blue! I'm still getting accustomed to this new computer, but very happy with it!
.
OK, off to do a slow slow dive, to get lots of photos to share with you. That big snowstorm that pounded the East Coast of the US will be sending me big ocean waves from the west, hum. Small world!
.
Thanks for stopping by!
.


No comments:

Post a Comment